The Role of the Board
Active Gloucestershire is a charity and company limited by guarantee. As such, trustees are also Directors and are responsible for the overall governance and administration of the charity including:
- Ensuring that Active Gloucestershire operates in accordance with charitable and company law and in line with its governing documents
- Upholding the reputation of organisation
- Setting the strategic direction for the organisation
- Maintaining the financial health and well¬being of the organisation including reviewing risk
- Scrutinising the performance of the organisation and holding the executive staff to account
Retired IT Director in the Financial Services sector and current Chairman of the Gloucestershire County Cricket League
- Past NonExecutive Director of the Gloucestershire Cricket Board, chair of its Finance, Risk and Audit Committee and of its Senior Clubs and Competitions Development Group
- Previous Governor of Kingshill School and Sports College and of Powell’s CofE Primary School
- Chair of the former Cotswold School Sport Partnership
- Served as Trustee of the Brandon Trust (a large charity in the learning disability field) and as chair of its Finance and Audit Committee
- Served as chairman of Stratton Youth Football Club and Cirencester Cricket Club
Chair of Active Gloucestershire for several years until 2014.
- Spent 25 years working for IBM in Scotland and England in a variety of technical, marketing and management positions, including Country Skills Manager
- Former member of the Scottish Sports Council
- Past Chairman of the British Orienteering Federation
- Vice President of the International Badminton Federation from 1988 to 1996, and its CEO from 1998 to 2003
- Currently participates in orienteering, 10Km road running and table tennis
Experienced senior HR Professional with a Masters Degree in Strategic Human Resource Management.
- Chair of Gloucestershire County Netball Association having been involved in the county for over 25 years as a player, coach, club chair and umpire
- Member of Netball South West Disciplinary and Appeals Register
- Member of the Forest Green Rovers FC Advisory Board
- Previously a Governor at Stroud College
- Past Chair of the Stroud & Mid Gloucestershire Education Business Partnership
- Former Head of HR at Stroud & Swindon Building Society
Head of Services Delivery at Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust.
- Director of Operations, Countywide and CYP Services at Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust
- Former Head of Children’s Occupational Therapy Services at NHS Gloucestershire
- Trustee liaison for Active Gloucestershire equality and safeguarding
Head of School for Sport and Exercise at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Career in Higher Education spanning 28 years following on from a 10 year period in secondary physical education
- Held a number of positions with England Netball and is currently a lead for coach development and UKCC Level 3 Coach
- Anita is a co-Director of the new Netball Super League Club Severn Stars which is a partnership between the University of Gloucestershire and University of Worcester
- Member of the UK Sport World Class Coaching Steering Group and Sports Coach UK Coaching Standards Group
- Sky Sports Commentator for the televised Super League Netball Competition
Retired Solicitor following a career in the finance and legal sector.
- Served in numerous leadership roles having gained a variety of generic and technical skills
- Voluntary experience as trustee, treasurer and chair of various local nonprofit organisations
- Currently working with a national charitable advice agency
- Serving member of AG Finance & Resources Committee
- Actively involved in competitive sport and coaching at various age group levels
Currently leads the Enterprise Education & Entrepreneurship Strategy for the University of Gloucestershire.
- Through the Growth Hub, works to make the talents and assets of the University more accessible to business
- Leads the ‘Make It’ campaign in the Business School, designed to deliver career ready graduates to Gloucestershire organisations
- Previously Commercial Director of Hypertag Limited
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Marketing & Committee
- Member of Institute of Engineering & Technology
Terry Smith acts as Chair of the Finance & Resources sub Committee after a career in public sector finance.
- Worked for Gloucestershire County Council and Stroud District Council becoming Chief Accountant and then Assistant Treasurer (Accountancy)
- Worked in NHS Finance for 20 years, including 12 years as a Director of Finance
- Treasurer and a Trustee of the Kambia Appeal, a locally based charity which supports the strengthening of healthcare services for women and children in the Kambia District of Sierra Leone
- Terry is a lifelong football fan, his father having been a top class referee, and now plays walking football on a regular basis