The Role of the Board
Active Gloucestershire is a charity and company limited by guarantee. As such, trustees are also Directors and are responsible for the overall governance and administration of the charity including:
- Ensuring that Active Gloucestershire operates in accordance with charitable and company law and in line with its governing documents
- Upholding the reputation of organisation
- Setting the strategic direction for the organisation
- Maintaining the financial health and well¬being of the organisation including reviewing risk
- Scrutinising the performance of the organisation and holding the executive staff to account
- We are not only committed to ensuring gender diversity on our Board, ensuring a minimum of 30% of each gender, which we are currently achieving, but we also understand and embrace the benefits of having a diverse Board and regularly audit levels of diversity on our Board. We also actively welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, race, religion or belief, gender, disability, sexual orientation or gender reassignment
Chair of Active Gloucestershire. Retired IT Director in the Financial Services sector and current Chairman of the Gloucestershire County Cricket League.
- Past NonExecutive Director of the Gloucestershire Cricket Board, chair of its Finance, Risk and Audit Committee and of its Senior Clubs and Competitions Development Group
- Previous Governor of Kingshill School and Sports College and of Powell’s CofE Primary School
- Chair of the former Cotswold School Sport Partnership
- Served as Trustee of the Brandon Trust (a large charity in the learning disability field) and as chair of its Finance and Audit Committee, and previously as trustee of a small learning charity MEND
- Served as chairman of Stratton Youth Football Club and Cirencester Cricket Club
Chair of Active Gloucestershire for several years until 2014.
- Spent 25 years working for IBM in Scotland and England in a variety of technical, marketing and management positions, including Country Skills Manager
- Former member of the Scottish Sports Council
- Past Chairman of the British Orienteering Federation
- Vice President of the International Badminton Federation from 1988 to 1996, and its CEO from 1998 to 2003
- Currently participates in orienteering, 10Km road running and table tennis
Experienced senior HR Professional with a Masters Degree in Strategic Human Resource Management.
- Chair of Gloucestershire County Netball Association having been involved in the county for over 25 years as a player, coach, club chair and umpire. Now back on the court playing walking netball
- Member of Netball South West Disciplinary and Appeals Register
- Member of the Forest Green Rovers FC Advisory Board
- Previously a Governor at Stroud College
- Past Chair of the Stroud & Mid Gloucestershire Education Business Partnership
- Owner and Director of HR Consultancy, Sue Bailey Consulting Ltd
- Former Head of HR at Stroud & Swindon Building Society
Head of Services Delivery at Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust.
- Director of Operations, Countywide and CYP Services at Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust
- Former Head of Children’s Occupational Therapy Services at NHS Gloucestershire
- Trustee liaison for Active Gloucestershire equality and safeguarding
Head of School for Sport and Exercise at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Career in Higher Education spanning 28 years following on from a 10 year period in secondary physical education
- Held a number of positions with England Netball and is currently a lead for coach development and UKCC Level 3 Coach
- Anita is a co-Director of the new Netball Super League Club Severn Stars which is a partnership between the University of Gloucestershire and University of Worcester
- Member of the UK Sport World Class Coaching Steering Group and UK Coaching Standards Group
- Sports Commentator for Super League Netball and International Competition (World Cup 2015, Commonwealth Games 2014)
Retired Solicitor following a career in the finance and legal sector.
- Served in numerous leadership roles having gained a variety of generic and technical skills
- Voluntary experience as trustee, treasurer and chair of various local nonprofit organisations
- Currently working with a national charitable advice agency
- Serving member of AG Finance & Resources Committee
- Actively involved in competitive sport and coaching at various age group levels
Business Development & Marketing Director for Harrison Clark Rickerbys Solicitors. Committed to diversity in the workplace and particularly in the boardroom, innovation and enterprise.
- Previously Senior Enterprise Partner at the Growth Hub, University of Gloucestershire, working to make the talents and assets of the University more accessible to business
- Lead the ‘Make It’ campaign in the Business School, designed to deliver career ready graduates to Gloucestershire organisations
- Previously Commercial Director of Cambridge Technology Company and Senior Marketing Manager for Pricewaterhouse Coopers and its predecessor firms
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Marketing & Committee
- Member of Institute of Engineering & Technology
Terry Smith acts as Chair of the Finance & Resources sub Committee after a career in public sector finance.
- Worked for Gloucestershire County Council and Stroud District Council becoming Chief Accountant and then Assistant Treasurer (Accountancy)
- Worked in NHS Finance for 20 years, including 12 years as a Director of Finance
- Treasurer and a Trustee of the Kambia Appeal, a locally based charity which supports the strengthening of healthcare services for women and children in the Kambia District of Sierra Leone
- Terry is a lifelong football fan, his father having been a top class referee, and now plays walking football on a regular basis
Managing Director at Gloucester City Council and Commissioning Director at Gloucestershire County Council.
- Jointly employed by Gloucester City Council and Gloucestershire County Council since July 2015 to provide strategic leadership and joined up working across the two Councils and beyond
- Previously Deputy Chief Executive at Aylesbury Vale District Council, where he chaired the local Community Safety Partnership and the Buckinghamshire Youth Offending Service Management Board
- Previously Board Member of Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes County Sports Partnership (LEAP) and helped deliver Opening Ceremonies at Stoke Mandeville for 2012 Summer Paralympic Games and 2014 Winter Paralympic Games
- Prior to joining Local Government, a Civil Servant policy advisor and analyst for sixteen years, undertaking a variety of roles at the Office for National Statistics and latterly the Department for Communities and Local Government
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- FA level 1 football coach currently studying for level 2 qualification. Plays football and badminton socially