The Role of the Board
Active Gloucestershire is a charity and company limited by guarantee. As such, trustees are also Directors and are responsible for the overall governance and administration of the charity including:
- Ensuring that Active Gloucestershire operates in accordance with charitable and company law and in line with its governing documents
- Upholding the reputation of organisation
- Setting the strategic direction for the organisation
- Maintaining the financial health and well¬being of the organisation including reviewing risk
- Scrutinising the performance of the organisation and holding the executive staff to account
Diversity and equality statement
In keeping with the Code for Sports Governance, Active Gloucestershire is committed to achieving gender balance and greater diversity on its Board, including, but not limited to, Black, Asian, minority ethnic and disabled members. We recognise and embrace the benefits of diversity and regularly review Board membership, taking positive steps to encourage applications from a broad range of suitably qualified candidates that reflect the population of Gloucestershire.
Active Gloucestershire Chair.
Founder and Managing Director of Quiver Management, an award-winning coaching, leadership training and change management consultancy with head office in the Cotswolds
- Previous international senior management career with blue-chip organisations, including a CEO role for an international company based in USA and a variety of senior technical, commercial and operational management roles
- Non-executive director at WE Bridge International and previous non-executive and advisory board member roles for EMCC UK (The European Mentoring and Coaching Council)
- Qualified Senior Practitioner in Coaching and Mentoring, a member of EMCC, a Fellow of the Institute of Leadership and Management and Professional Member of the Professional Speakers Association
- Holds a Diploma in Company Direction from the IoD, an MBA from Henley Management College and a BSc from the Danish Engineering Academy
- Enjoys competing in endurance events having completed Ironman, Marathon des Sables and other multi-discipline and ultra-marathon events.
Experienced senior HR Professional with a Masters Degree in Strategic Human Resource Management.
- Chair of Gloucestershire County Netball Association having been involved in the county for over 25 years as a player, coach, club chair and umpire. Now back on the court playing walking netball
- Member of Netball South West Disciplinary and Appeals Register
- Member of the Forest Green Rovers FC Advisory Board
- Previously a Governor at Stroud College
- Past Chair of the Stroud & Mid Gloucestershire Education Business Partnership
- Owner and Director of HR Consultancy, Sue Bailey Consulting Ltd
- Former Head of HR at Stroud & Swindon Building Society
Chair of Active Gloucestershire for several years until 2014.
- Spent 25 years working for IBM in Scotland and England in a variety of technical, marketing and management positions, including Country Skills Manager
- Former member of the Scottish Sports Council
- Past Chairman of the British Orienteering Federation
- Vice President of the International Badminton Federation from 1988 to 1996, and its CEO from 1998 to 2003
- Currently participates in orienteering, 10Km road running and table tennis
Chief Operating Officer, Gloucestershire Care Services NHS Trust.
- Trustee liaison for Active Gloucestershire equality, diversity and safeguarding
- A qualified Occupational Therapist, specialising in Children and Young People’s services
- Has previously worked in a variety of community health and education settings in both Canada and New Zealand
- Worked in Swindon Borough Council Child Health team until moving to Gloucestershire Primary Care Trust to be the Head of Children’s Occupational Therapy
- Held a number of roles within Children and Young People’s services before becoming Director of Service Delivery
- Holds a Bachelor’s of Medical Rehabilitation (Occupational Therapy) from the University of Manitoba, Canada, Master’s of Science (Special Education) from Minot State University, USA and a postgraduate Diploma in Organisational Leadership, from Saïd Business School, Oxford University
- Holds an Executive coaching and mentoring qualification from Institute of Leadership & Management
Retired Solicitor following a career in the finance and legal sector.
- Served in numerous leadership roles having gained a variety of generic and technical skills
- Voluntary experience as trustee, treasurer and chair of various local nonprofit organisations
- Currently working with a national charitable advice agency
- Serving member of AG Finance & Resources Committee
- Actively involved in competitive sport and coaching at various age group levels
Business Development & Marketing Director for Harrison Clark Rickerbys Solicitors. Committed to diversity in the workplace and particularly in the boardroom, innovation and enterprise.
- Previously Senior Enterprise Partner at the Growth Hub, University of Gloucestershire, working to make the talents and assets of the University more accessible to business
- Led the ‘Make It’ campaign in the Business School, designed to deliver career ready graduates to Gloucestershire organisations
- Previously Commercial Director of Cambridge Technology Company, Hypertag, and Senior Marketing Manager for Pricewaterhouse Coopers and its predecessor firms
- Fellow of Chartered Institute of Marketing & Trustee of Community Foster Care
Terry Smith acts as Chair of the Finance & Resources sub Committee after a career in public sector finance.
- Worked for Gloucestershire County Council and Stroud District Council becoming Chief Accountant and then Assistant Treasurer (Accountancy)
- Worked in NHS Finance for 20 years, including 12 years as a Director of Finance
- Treasurer and a Trustee of the Kambia Appeal, a locally based charity which supports the strengthening of healthcare services for women and children in the Kambia District of Sierra Leone
- Terry is a lifelong football fan, his father having been a top class referee, and now plays walking football on a regular basis
Managing Director at Gloucester City Council and Commissioning Director at Gloucestershire County Council.
- Jointly employed by Gloucester City Council and Gloucestershire County Council since July 2015 to provide strategic leadership and joined up working across the two Councils and beyond
- Previously Deputy Chief Executive at Aylesbury Vale District Council, where he chaired the local Community Safety Partnership and the Buckinghamshire Youth Offending Service Management Board
- Previously Board Member of Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes County Sports Partnership (LEAP) and helped deliver Opening Ceremonies at Stoke Mandeville for 2012 Summer Paralympic Games and 2014 Winter Paralympic Games
- Prior to joining Local Government, a Civil Servant policy advisor and analyst for sixteen years, undertaking a variety of roles at the Office for National Statistics and latterly the Department for Communities and Local Government
- Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society
- FA level 1 football coach currently studying for level 2 qualification. Plays football and badminton socially