Head of Education
01452 393 609
How will primary schools be monitored on their spend of the funding?
Schools will be held to account over how they spend their ring-fenced Sport Premium. Ofsted will strengthen the coverage of PE and sport within the ‘Inspectors’ handbook’ and supporting guidance so that both schools and inspectors know how sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the school’s overall provision.
In 2014, Ofsted published a report on the PE and Sport Premium for primary schools. For examples of good practice to maximise effective use of the funding click here.
Schools will also be required to include details of their provision of PE and sport on their website, alongside details of their broader curriculum, so that parents can compare sports provision between schools, both within and beyond the school day.
Read the Ofsted criteria for the School inspection handbook, with information on how you will be assessed, and what they are looking for.
Key questions Ofsted may ask
- Has the school completed an audit of the current provision for PE and Sport and how this links to needs of your students and school community?
- Informed by the analysis of this audit, has the school written a development plan for PE and sport which includes both curriculum PE and extra curricular sport?
- Does the school have a PE Coordinator or does it need assistance in developing this role?
- Does the school need help in planning how to spend the Primary School Sport Premium funding effectively so the needs of the school community, as well as OFSTED requirements are met?
- Does the school need assistance in accessing relevant CPD for staff around PE and sport so the Primary School Sport Premium can have sustainable outcomes?
Primary schools should publish on their website information about their use of the new funding.
This should include:
- How much PE and sport premium funding you received for this academic year
- A full breakdown of how you’ve spent or will spend the funding this year
- The effect of the premium on pupils’ PE and sport participation and attainment
- How you will make sure these improvements are sustainable